Texas deputy who shot at fleeing illegal immigrants gets prison
By Jeorge Zarazua
The Houston Chronicle
DEL RIO, Texas — A federal judge sentenced Edwards County Sheriff's Deputy Guillermo F. Hernandez to prison instead of probation Monday, crushing the hopes of his family and more than 100 supporters from his hometown waiting outside the courthouse to welcome him home.
Visiting U.S. District Judge Robert T. Dawson sentenced Hernandez, known as Gilmer, to a year and a day in prison for shooting at a fleeing vehicle that was transporting undocumented immigrants through his hometown of Rocksprings nearly two years ago.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house