Dozens of illegals found in Ariz. drop house
PHOENIX — Authorities say they have busted the third drop house for illegal immigrants found in the Phoenix area in the last few days.
Officer Robert Bailey with the Arizona Department of Public Safety says the third house was raided Monday. Authorities found 34 illegal immigrants and nine suspected smugglers.
They were tipped off by a citizen who paid a ransom to get a family member released.
Bailey says many of the immigrants from Mexico were held for up to 30 days, and some were beaten by smugglers demanding more money for their release.
Two boys, ages 13 and 15, and a woman who was two months pregnant were among those being held. No one needed medical treatment.
The alleged smugglers were arrested and the immigrants turned over to federal officials.
Copyright 2009 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman