Dozens of illegals found in Ariz. drop house
PHOENIX — Authorities say they have busted the third drop house for illegal immigrants found in the Phoenix area in the last few days.
Officer Robert Bailey with the Arizona Department of Public Safety says the third house was raided Monday. Authorities found 34 illegal immigrants and nine suspected smugglers.
They were tipped off by a citizen who paid a ransom to get a family member released.
Bailey says many of the immigrants from Mexico were held for up to 30 days, and some were beaten by smugglers demanding more money for their release.
Two boys, ages 13 and 15, and a woman who was two months pregnant were among those being held. No one needed medical treatment.
The alleged smugglers were arrested and the immigrants turned over to federal officials.
Copyright 2009 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police