National Guard to do border surveillance
Guard troops on the border won't be able to patrol it, make arrests, or use deadly force
By Maggie Ybarra
El Paso Times
EL PASO — The National Guard troops President Barack Obama will send to the border won't be able to patrol it, arrest people or use deadly force, U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes said.
The Posse Comitatus Act, a federal law, prohibits federal military forces from doing law enforcement work. Instead, they will watch the border, repair vehicles and assist with communications and intelligence.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: National Guard to do border surveillance
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds