National Guard to do border surveillance
Guard troops on the border won't be able to patrol it, make arrests, or use deadly force
By Maggie Ybarra
El Paso Times
EL PASO — The National Guard troops President Barack Obama will send to the border won't be able to patrol it, arrest people or use deadly force, U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes said.
The Posse Comitatus Act, a federal law, prohibits federal military forces from doing law enforcement work. Instead, they will watch the border, repair vehicles and assist with communications and intelligence.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: National Guard to do border surveillance
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help