Ariz. sheriff expects armed conflict with cartels soon
Says a gun battle is all but certain within the next 30 to 60 days
By Lindsey Collom
The Arizona Republic
FLORENCE, Ariz. — Pinal County's sheriff is anticipating an armed conflict between his deputies and cartel members within the next 30 to 60 days.
Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu made that prediction last week as he addressed an Ahwatukee, Ariz., Republican women's club, and reiterated it Tuesday on the heels of a speech by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano asserting that border communities are safer than ever.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms