Immigration officer arrested for pot smuggling
Officer threw bundles of marijuana out the window of his government vehicle
By Amanda Lee Myers
The Associated Press
PHOENIX — Arizona state police say a deportation officer with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has been arrested in a pot smuggling case after leading authorities on a high-speed chase, throwing bundles of marijuana out the window of his government vehicle.
Department of Public Safety Officer Carrick Cook told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the deportation officer had been under surveillance for more than a month.
DPS and federal agents tried to pull him over Tuesday after he picked up a load of marijuana in the desert with his government vehicle. Cook says the officer fled, leading them on a chase at speeds of up to 110 mph.
The chase ended when the officer's vehicle rolled over and he gave himself up.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform