Sheriff: Man killed by border agent drove at him
The vehicle was suspected of smuggling illegal immigrants
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The U.S. Border Patrol says an agent shot and killed someone during a traffic stop in South Texas.
Border Patrol spokesman Henry Mendiola said Thursday the shooting near Corpus Christi involved a vehicle that was suspected of smuggling illegal immigrants.
San Patricio Sheriff Leroy Moody told the Corpus Christi Caller-Times that the agent shot the driver of the sport utility vehicle after the driver apparently tried to run the agent over. Moody says four or five suspected illegal immigrants were found in the vehicle.
No one but the driver was injured or killed.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court