Mexican teen's family to pursue suit v. agent
Will press on with their lawsuit against the agent despite prosecutors' decision not to charge
EL PASO, Texas — A lawyer for the family of a 15-year-old Mexican boy killed by a U.S. Border Patrol agent in 2010 says they will press on with their lawsuit against the agent despite U.S. prosecutors' decision not to charge him.
Attorney Robert Hilliard said Sunday that there is no evidence that Sergio Hernandez-Guereca threw rocks at agent Jesus Mesa Jr. from Mexico before Mesa fatally shot him.
The U.S. Department of Justice said Friday there was insufficient evidence to pursue charges.
U.S. authorities say Mesa shot the boy while trying to arrest illegal immigrants crossing the Rio Grande near El Paso. The shooting was captured on cellphone video.
A Texas judge last year dismissed a wrongful death lawsuit against the U.S. government but allowed the lawsuit against Mesa to proceed.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests