Driver falls asleep, crashes into Border Patrol checkpoint
The impact knocked a Chevrolet Avalanche pickup onto its side and shoved a Mercedes-Benz sedan into the fence along the freeway's right shoulder
By Steven Barrie
The Press Enterprise
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — A vehicle driven by a man who fell asleep at the wheel plowed into nine parked cars at a U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint, seriously injuring the passenger in the vehicle.
Just before 8:30 a.m. Monday, Aug. 27, Riverside resident David Arriaga, 20, was driving a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban north on Interstate 15 just south of the Border Patrol's checkpoint in Temecula, the Highway Patrol said in a news release.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy