LA officer wounded in fatal shootout
LA County sheriff's deputy was shot Monday during an incident that left one person dead
By Carla Rivera
Los Angeles Times
LONG BEACH, Calif. — A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy was wounded Monday during a shootout in a Long Beach neighborhood that left one person dead, authorities said.
The incident occurred at about 10 a.m. near the intersection of Long Beach Boulevard and East 69th Way, said sheriff's Deputy Peter Gomez.
The wounded deputy was struck at least once in the torso and was taken to a hospital, where he was undergoing surgery, officials said.
The person who died was pronounced dead at the scene.
The circumstances of the shooting remain under investigation, Gomez said.
Copyright 2014 the Los Angeles Times
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help