Jim Hammond to take over as Chattanooga sheriff
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — With former Sheriff Billy Long having been arrested, removed from office and pleaded guilty to numerous criminal offenses, the people of Hamilton County stepped up this week to elect a new sheriff of integrity, experience and professionalism. The overwhelming choice was Jim Hammond, a former chief deputy sheriff who more recently had been training law enforcement officers in the Middle East.
Mr. Hammond's victory came by a large margin over some good opponents.
We look forward to the full restoration of honest and effective law enforcement under an able new sheriff. Mr. Hammond should be able to provide exactly what the sheriff's office obviously needs to restore public confidence.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Jim Hammond to take over as Chattanooga sheriff
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house