S.C. man hits chief with SUV at safety checkpoint
By Rachel Johnson
AUGUSTA, S.C. — An Augusta man is in custody after hitting an officer with his vehicle and fleeing a traffic checkpoint early Saturday morning.
Demarius Lamar Smith, 21, of Augusta was arrested on Saturday afternoon at the Deluxe Inn on Martintown Road in North Augusta by law enforcement and is accused of hitting Williston Chief of Police Roger Kaney shortly before 1 a.m.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house