S.C. man hits chief with SUV at safety checkpoint
By Rachel Johnson
AUGUSTA, S.C. — An Augusta man is in custody after hitting an officer with his vehicle and fleeing a traffic checkpoint early Saturday morning.
Demarius Lamar Smith, 21, of Augusta was arrested on Saturday afternoon at the Deluxe Inn on Martintown Road in North Augusta by law enforcement and is accused of hitting Williston Chief of Police Roger Kaney shortly before 1 a.m.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help