Calif. chief charged with DUI in cruiser crash
Leach was allegedly drinking at a topless bar before he crashed his city-owned car
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — In the hours before officers stopped him last month, Riverside Police Chief Russ Leach mixed 11 drinks with up to five prescription medications, leaving him so intoxicated he had no idea where he was - or that he'd wrecked his city-issued car, authorities said.
Leach, 62, was charged Monday with misdemeanor driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol, and driving with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit. He was not arrested, but ordered to appear in court for arraignment Thursday.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Calif. chief charged with DUI in cruiser crash
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help