DC metro chief apologizes for 'large lips' memo
Some said the training memo encouraged racial profiling
The Washington Examiner
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Metro's acting police chief has issued an apology to his police force for a training memo that sparked accusations of racial profiling in telling officers to ask crime victims if robbers had "large lips."
Chief Jeri Lee's apology letter said that the physical description, first reported by the Washington Examiner, "on face value was at the very least, insensitive."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: DC metro chief apologizes for 'large lips' memo
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court