'Flash mobs' targeted by Chicago's top cop
Acting Police Supt. Garry McCarthy plans to target 'flash mobs' for mob of teens thieves who 'grab and run' on Michigan Avenue
By Fran Spielman
Acting Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Tuesday he may follow Philadelphia's lead when it comes to the text-messaging, shoplifting "flash mobs" now terrorizing the Michigan Avenue shopping district.
After eight days on the job, McCarthy has his hands full redeploying police resources to combat the traditional summer crime surge.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: 'Flash mobs' targeted by Chicago's top cop
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds