Ex-stripper sues RI police chief
A former Rhode Island stripper has filed a federal lawsuit against a police chief
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A former Rhode Island stripper has filed a federal lawsuit against a police chief who is accused of stealing $714 from her purse after an August car chase.
Pawtucket resident Justina Cardoso is seeking $250,000 in damages from Col. John Whiting.
Whiting, of North Attleborough, Mass., has been suspended from his job as police chief in North Providence. He also faces criminal charges in state court.
The 21-year-old Cardoso claims in a lawsuit filed on Dec. 22 that Whiting violated her constitutional rights protecting her from illegal searches and granting her due process.
Prosecutors say the 57-year-old Whiting stole the money from Cardoso's purse after chasing a car she was riding in. Whiting denies the charges.
Messages were left Tuesday for Whiting, his lawyer and Cardoso's attorneys.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds