W.Va. sheriff fatally shot, suspect in custody
Mingo County Sheriff Eugene Crum was shot and killed; the suspect was also shot and is in custody
Duty Death: Eugene Crum - [Mingo County, West Virginia]
End of Service: 04/03/2013
WILLIAMSON, W.Va. — A state official says a West Virginia county sheriff has been shot to death and a suspect is in custody.
Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin's chief of staff, Rob Alsop, says state police told the governor that Mingo County Sheriff Eugene Crum died Wednesday.
Mingo County Office of Emergency Services head dispatcher Willis Spence says the shooting was in Williamson within a block of the county courthouse.
Alsop says the suspect also was shot and was taken to a hospital.
The shooting comes on the heels of a Texas district attorney and his wife being shot to death in their home over the weekend, and officials suspect a white supremacist prison gang. Those killings happened a couple of months after one of the county's assistant district attorneys was killed near his courthouse office.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen