Suspect overpowers, disarms Md. state trooper
By Gus G. Sentementes and Nick Madigan
The Baltimore Sun
Despite training, officers sometimes lose guns
LAUREL, Md. — A man who police said overpowered a Maryland State trooper at a Laurel hospital and escaped with her gun early this morning was captured hours later after a citizen spotted him walking down a road, authorities said.
Maryland State Police spokesman Gregory M. Shipley said after getting the tip police surrounded a shed on Contee Road near U.S. 1 and arrested the man without incident. He was taken back to the same hospital from which he had escaped, Laurel Regional Hospital, for treatment.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Suspect overpowers, disarms Md. state trooper
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper