Va. man attacks officer, reaches for duty pistol
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — A man assaulted a police officer and grabbed for the officer's gun while being arrested Sunday, police said.
The officer was responding to a disturbance in the 600 block of Bethune St. about 6 p.m., police spokeswoman Margie Long said.
The officer tried to take the man, identified as Levi Martin, 20, of the 200 block of Bethune St., into custody. He had placed a pair of handcuffs around one wrist when the man swung his arm, hitting the officer in the head, and reached for the officer's gun, Long said. The officer was able to subdue the man.
The officer's wound required stitches, Long said.
Martin faces charges of assaulting an officer, resisting arrest and attempting to remove the officer's gun.
Copyright 2008 The Virginian-Pilot
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Va. man attacks officer, reaches for duty pistol
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms