Ill. officer collapses, dies during struggle
By Joel Hood
CHICAGO — Frank Russo was known for two things around the Schaumburg Police Department: A big personality and a youthful eagerness for his job.
Russo, a 19-year veteran of the Schaumburg force, was working on his day off early Saturday morning at the John Barleycorn nightclub on American Lane. When two men fled the club after a disturbance, Russo and another uniformed officer pursued them in their squad car and arrested them a half-mile away on East Golf Road. But in the ensuing struggle, Russo collapsed and later was pronounced dead at Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Ill. officer collapses, dies during struggle
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy