Man bites off part of LA deputy's ear
Suspect is being held without bail
LOS ANGELES — A man who bit off part of a Los Angeles Sheriff's deputy's ear was in custody Monday night after being booked for causing mayhem and attempted murder, authorties said.
The Sheriff's Department said in a statement that 41-year-old Miguel Delacruz fought with a Palmdale Sheriff's Station deputy at around 3:45am Monday, after the officer asked him what he was doing walking down the street in freezing temperatures.
"During the minutes-long fight, Suspect Delacruz bit off part of the deputy's left ear," the statement said.
"The fight continued, and the deputy felt the suspect grab his gun and attempt to take it from [him]. Although in pain from the loss of a significant portion of his ear, the deputy was able to retain his gun as he tried to overcome the suspect and to arrest him."
Delacruz, who was on probation for kidnapping at the time of the incident, was being held without bail Monday night.
Though the detached section of the deputy's ear was recovered at the scene, doctors decided the risk of infection was too great to try to reattach it, the sheriff's statement said.
Reprinted with permission from MyFoxDC
- Officer Safety
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds