Video: Trooper’s dash cam captures deadly wrong-way crash
Troopers received the call of a wrong-way driver a mere two minutes before they arrived at the fatal crash scene
By PoliceOne Staff
ALLEGAN COUNTY, Mich. — A newly released video captured a deadly wrong-way crash on a state trooper’s dash cam.
According to WMMT, the April 15 head-on collision occurred when 29-year-old Jeremy Smeltzer sped in the wrong direction on US-131. His truck crashed into 21-year-old Jaryd Ford’s vehicle, killing him.
Michigan State Police told WMMT that troopers received the call a mere two minutes before they arrived at the fatal crash scene.
"You can see he puts on the brakes, and then turning, trying to stop the vehicle so it doesn't run into someone," said F.Lt. Draves, according to the report.
Ford was killed on impact. His passenger was trapped inside the vehicle with two broken legs as the car caught fire.
Troopers extracted the passenger from the vehicle and transported her to a hospital, where she was treated for non-life threatening injuries, WZZM 13 reported. The passenger was the only survivor — Smeltzer died while in transit to the hospital.
Police are waiting on toxicology reports and have yet to determine an exact speed for the drivers, according to WMMT.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds