Off-duty NYPD cop among 2 killed in wrong-way crash
Officer Richard Christopher, 32, collided with the vehicle head-on during the morning rush hour traffic on the New York State Thruway
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW YORK — An off-duty officer driving the wrong way struck another vehicle Tuesday, resulting in his death and the death of the other driver.
NBC New York reports Officer Richard Christopher, 32, collided with the vehicle head-on during the morning rush hour traffic on the New York State Thruway.
The other driver killed was 59-year-old James DeVito. Both died at the scene, according to the report.
No others were hurt in the violent collision,
Investigators will be taking toxicology tests to determine if drugs or alcohol were present in the officer’s system.
Officer Christopher served eight years on the force, according to the report. He was also an Army veteran.
It is unclear why Christopher was driving in the wrong direction. The investigation is ongoing.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy