Autism training helps police tailor response
Related article: The 'Autism tsunami'
By Tara Malone
The Chicago Tribune
CHICAGO — A teenage boy with autism slipped into his mother's car last fall and, acting out his favorite movies, went barreling 100 m.p.h. down a road in Naperville. When police gave chase, the flashing lights and sirens frightened him, and he sped even faster. Officers reached him only after he slammed the car into a tree.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Autism training helps police tailor response
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman