Auditor slams OPD on oversight of technology systems
City Auditor Courtney Ruby said, "The bottom line is that the Oakland Police Department has mismanaged technology for years and citizens have a right to be outraged."
By Matthew Artz
OAKLAND — Oakland police have squandered nearly $2 million over the past five years on technology systems that were never used or underutilized, a city auditor's report has found.
The report, which is being released Wednesday, faults the department for not performing due diligence before purchasing technology systems and for not adequately managing or tracking the systems after buying them.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms