An inside look at Philadelphia's Explorer program
By Dan Geringer
The Philadelphia Daily News
PHILADELPHIA - The teenagers came from cop families and from "don't snitch" families, from supportive and from broken homes - but when they slowly advanced down a hallway in a Philadelphia Police Academy training building, plastic guns drawn, protecting each other's backs while they searched the rooms for an "armed suspect," they were one team.
As they advanced, the diamond-shaped formation they were supposed to be moving in for self-protection became ragged, leaving the young wannabes vulnerable to ambush.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court