Day of emotions as Philly buries officer
By Charisse Jones
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. — In a clash of hope and grief, this city awoke Wednesday to a new mayor and a funeral for a police officer whose slaying capped a recent spasm of gun violence.
Thousands of Philadelphians and police officers from across the Northeast waited to enter the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul to pay their respects to officer Chuck Cassidy, who died last week after being shot during a robbery at a Dunkin' Donuts.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Day of emotions as Philly buries officer
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform