Utah police sting nets 658, but police still discouraged
By Nathan C. Gonzalez
The Salt Lake Tribune
SALT LAKE CITY — When two people were stabbed — one fatally — in Salt Lake City's Pioneer Park in mid-October, area residents and business owners pleaded with police to clamp down on violence and drug activity at the park.
Though Salt Lake City police seemed to answer that call — arresting 658 people in a 49-block sting between Nov. 5 and 10 — police and Salt Lake County sheriff's officials said all the work probably won't put a big dent in the park's longtime problem with crime.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds