Calif. city fighting crime by building relationships
New chief says that although residents gave the PD high marks in 2008, few had direct contact with officers
By Lisa P. White
Contra Costa Times
MARTINEZ — New Martinez Police Chief Gary Peterson is launching a community policing program in the next few weeks to strengthen ties between police officers and the public.
Peterson, who replaced former Chief Tom Simonetti in December, described community policing as traditional law enforcement tactics combined with problem-solving, crime prevention and involving the residents.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house