Oakland homicide rate at all time high
The Associated Press
OAKLAND- The number of murders in Oakland this year now stands at 81 after three fatal shootings Saturday.
Police say 18-year-old Darius Toyfoya was shot several times in the chest on a street corner early Saturday morning.
The second victim - identified by friends as 17-year-old Anthony Butler - was found dead of a gunshot wound Saturday afternoon on an East Oakland sidewalk.
In a third shooting Saturday night, a man was gunned down on the 59-hundred block of International Boulevard. He was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
His name has not been released.
Oakland is on track to record one of its deadliest years ever. There were 43 homicides by this time in 2005 and 47 at the same time in 2004.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house