Citizens come to injured San Diego cop's aid
Michael Gonzalez is charged with three counts of attempted murder
By PoliceOne Staff
SAN DIEGO — When a police officer was attacked while questioning a suspect Saturday afternoon, local residents bravely assisted her.
Michael Gonzalez started punching and stabbing Officer Kelly Doherty when she tried to question him after he was seen recklessly riding a bicycle and nearly being struck by a car, according to the Los Angeles Times. When he attempted to flee, two citizens who saw theincident stepped in.
Gonzalez, 43, was subdued, and Doherty went to the hospital for treatment. Both residents also suffered stab wounds.
Gonzalez will be charged with three counts of attempted murder.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help