Chicago gun buyback nets 5,500 weapons
'No questions asked' policy, weapons will be destroyed; several 'military-grade' machine guns amongst those turned in
By Tina Sfondeles
CHICAGO — Some of the guns turned in at St. Sabina Church on the South Side on Saturday came wrapped in blankets or packed in backpacks. Other, tinier handguns were taken out of designer purses and shoe boxes and turned over.
Jean Jones, 64, unwrapped her handgun delicately from a towel she pulled out of a large brown purse. It was her late husband's weapon, and she had never handled it before.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Chicago gun buyback nets 5,500 weapons
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court