Pa. guards kill inmate during hostage-taking attempt
EBENSBURG, Pa.- An inmate at a Pennsylvania prison was fatally shot by guards during a hostage-taking attempt, state police said Saturday.
Torone Dixon, 25, was shot Friday night by the Cambria County prison's emergency response team when he tried to use a homemade knife on a guard he had taken hostage, prison officials said. Dixon was pronounced dead later at a hospital.
The prison was locked down after Dixon assaulted guard Ross Morelli, 23, and took him hostage, according to corrections officials. The prison's emergency response team entered the housing unit about two hours after the incident began. Authorities said they shot Dixon when they could not subdue him with non-lethal force.
Another inmate was also injured, but officials did not say how.
Dixon was scheduled to be tried in January on homicide charges stemming from an April 27 slaying, officials said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court