Ill. prison guard arrested after confrontation with police
LINCOLN, Ill.- A guard at a central Illinois prison has been arrested after a domestic dispute involving several officers and a rifle.
Police say the man was trying to break into a woman's home in Lincoln early Saturday.
Lincoln police Detective Tom Rowland said the man is romantically involved with the woman but that the relationship is "undergoing stress."
After police arrived, the man allegedly pulled a rifle and fired three shots.
Police say one shot was fired so close to an officer that he temporarily lost hearing in one ear and suffered powder guns to his face.
The guard is not being named because he has not yet been charged.
Corrections officials say he has worked at the Lincoln Correctional Center since July 1998.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic