Nine injured in latest riot at Los Angeles County jail
The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES- The latest outbreak of racially charged rioting at a southern California jail sent eight inmates to the hospital with minor injuries, officials said. A ninth inmate was treated at the scene.
Dozens of inmates have been injured and one killed since clashes between Hispanic and black inmates began Feb. 4 at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) outside Los Angeles.
Small brawls followed throughout the week, including a Friday fight among 73 inmates that took an hour to quell.
The latest rioting took place despite a lockdown of all 19,000 inmates in the Los Angeles County jail system.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman