Man shot after ramming vehicle, pinning guard in Montana
The Associated Press
DEER LODGE, Mont.- A state prison guard shot a man Thursday after the man drove onto prison property, rammed the officer's car and pinned him against it, officials said.
The officer then stepped out of his car before Violette drove into him and pinned him against it, the department said.
The officer then fired, Powell County Sheriff Scott Howard said.
Violette drove off and was later arrested 21 miles south in Opportunity, Howard said.
Violette was hospitalized with a gunshot wound to the shoulder, authorities said. His condition was not available Thursday night.
The officer was injured, though not seriously, Howard said.
"He returned to work in a leg brace," he said.
Powell County Attorney Chris Miller said it was too early to speculate on charges against Violette. Officials said it was unclear why Violette was at the prison.
The prison was locked down for about two hours after the incident.
Deer Lodge is 37 miles southwest of Helena.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests