Ala. inmate escapes after assault, carjack
The Associated Press
BESSEMER, Ala. — Alabama authorities say a jail inmate charged with murder is on the loose after he overpowered a bailiff, took his weapon and uniform, and stole a van at gunpoint.
Authorities say Lakendall Sims was being taken to a court hearing in Bessemer when he asked to have one handcuff removed to use the bathroom. Court officials say he then attacked the bailiff, inflicting minor bumps and bruises.
Police locked down the courthouse and blocked several streets downtown to search for Sims. Authorities say no one was hurt when he commandeered the van from a woman.
Sims' attorney appealed to him to surrender in an interview with a local television station.
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office warns Sims is armed and dangerous.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court