Manhunt on for escaped Fla. inmates who killed woman
PALATKA, Fla. — North Florida authorities are widening the manhunt for two escaped jail inmates who are linked to the slaying of a 66-year-old woman while on the run.
Police say 23-year-old Doni Ray Brown and 25-year-old Timothy Wayne Fletcher broke out of the Putnam County Jail in Palatka at 4 a.m. Wednesday and stole a truck.
Palatka is about 40 miles east of Gainesville in northeastern Florida.
Later, authorities discovered a car missing and its owner, Helen Key Googe, dead inside her Palatka home.
Sheriff's Lt. Johnny Greenwood says Googe was related to one of the inmates.
The two men are believed to be driving a gold Lincoln sedan.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help