Angry Mass. sheriff won't house illegals
She said in a letter that she has encountered a "staggering lack of communication and respect" from the feds
By Laura Crimaldi
The Boston Herald
SUFFOLK, Mass. — Suffolk Sheriff Andrea J. Cabral is walking away from nearly $54 million in federal immigration fees, saying her jail will no longer house illegal aliens due to the feds' "staggering lack of communication and respect."
In a blistering letter informing U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement of the decision, a lawyer for Cabral blasted federal officials for forcing the jail to "beg and plead'' for basic information.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Angry Mass. sheriff won't house illegals
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic