Texas deputy shot, killed by inmate
Authorities are unsure where the inmate got the gun he used to kill her before driving away in the sheriff's van
Duty Death: Deputy Sheriff Sherri Jones - [Bowie County Sheriff's Department, Texas]
NEW BOSTON, Texas — Officials have identified a deputy shot dead in a Northeast Texas courthouse while escorting an inmate from a hearing.
Bowie County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Larry Parker says 54-year-old Deputy Sherri Jones died in the 2:30 p.m. Monday shooting in the county courthouse basement in New Boston.
He says Jones was taking 21-year-old Tucker Strickland to a van for transfer to a state facility when Strickland overpowered her, grabbed her gun, shot her and fled in the van. Parker says Strickland was found with the van about 30 miles away in Ashdown, Ark., and awaits extradition in the Miller County Jail in Texarkana, Ark.
Parker said deputies and Texas Rangers were obtaining a capital murder warrant for Strickland late Monday.
Bowie County is on the Texas-Arkansas border and includes Texarkana, Texas.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house