Timeline: Troy Davis execution
Inmate Troy Davis was executed for the death of an off-duty officer
By Bill Rankin
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Aug. 19, 1989: About 1 a.m., off-duty Savannah police Officer Mark Allen MacPhail is working security for a Burger King when a disturbance breaks out in the parking lot. MacPhail hurries to investigate and is shot and killed. He leaves a wife, an 18-month-old daughter and a 7-week-old son.
Aug. 23, 1989: Accompanied by a pastor, Troy Anthony Davis, knowing he is wanted for the killing, surrenders to police.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Timeline: Troy Davis execution
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests