Ore. corrections officer killed on roadside
Buddy Herron, 42, was stabbed during his commute
Duty Death: Buddy Herron - [Pendleton, Oregon]
By PoliceOne Staff
PENDLETON, Ore. — A corrections officer who is being lauded as a Good Samaritan was killed on his way to work after stopping to help a motorist, authorities said Tuesday.
Buddy. R. Herron, 42, called 911 Monday to report he was stabbed and his truck stolen after he tried to assist what he thought was a stranded driver, according to Oregon Live. A father of four and a 4-year veteran officer at the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution, Herron succumbed to his wounds at the hospital a few hours later.
Police arrested Portland resident Joshua Charles Weeks, 22, after a chase in Herron's stolen vehicle that ended in a crash on the Interstate, sources said. Weeks has a criminal history and is being held until the case is presented to a grand jury next week.
Fellow officers were shaken by the circumstances of the death.
"It's a brother in arms who tried to do what we do — stop and help someone," Umatilla Sheriff John Trumbo said. "We're all very upset."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house