Inmate accused of killing Fla. corrections officer
The 24-year-old Sgt. was expecting a son to be born in August
Duty Death: Ruben Thomas - [Lake City, Florida]
By PoliceOne Staff
LAKE CITY, Fla. — A 24-year-old corrections officer was fatally stabbed and another officer injured at a Lake City jail Sunday night.
Authorities said a convicted murderer housed at the Columbia Correctional Institution used a handmade shank to kill Sgt. Ruben Thomas, according to The Miami Herald. Richard Franklin, 37, is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder and armed robbery in 1994.
A second officer, William Brewer, was injured in the attack. He was treated at a hospital and will not require further medical attention.
Thomas was a six-year veteran of the Department of Corrections, the Suwanee Democrat reported. He and his fiancee had one daughter, 18, and were expecting a son to be born in August.
“The Department is mourning the loss of Sgt. Ruben Thomas,” Florida Department of Corrections Secretary Ken Tucker stated. “Sgt. Thomas is described as a solid and highly respected member of the agency and will be remembered in the highest regard. Our condolences go out to his family.”
An investigation is under way.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help