Corrections officer fatally shoots Mass. police officer
Officer Kevin Ambrose was responding to a domestic call
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Authorities say a western Massachusetts police officer responding to a domestic violence call has been fatally shot by a New York City correction officer who critically wounded his former girlfriend before killing himself.
Police say Officer Kevin Ambrose went to the woman's Springfield apartment Monday after she called 911 to say her ex-boyfriend was nearby and she feared for her life.
Springfield police say Hempstead, N.Y., resident Shawn Bryan shot the officer through the door of his ex-girlfriend's apartment, shot the girlfriend and then shot himself outside in a car.
Bryan had worked at the Rikers Island correctional facility. His ex-girlfriend is hospitalized in critical condition. She had obtained a restraining order against him 45 minutes before the shootings.
The New York City Department of Correction says it's "shocked and saddened" by what happened.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help