7 arrested in probe of La. deputies' slayings
Ambush left two Louisiana sheriff's deputies dead, two wounded
By Kevin McGill
LAPLACE, La. — Authorities have identified seven people arrested in the investigation of the shootings of four Louisiana sheriff's deputies. Two died and the other two were wounded.
State police said Friday that five of those arrested were at the scene where the shootings began. Two others are accused of being accessories.
Motives behind the shootings and exactly how they unfolded have not been released. Although two deputies died, no murder charges have been filed.
Twenty-four-year-old Brian Lyn Smith was charged with attempted first-degree murder. Forty-four-year-old Terry Smith; 22-year-old Derrick Smith; 28-year-old Kyle David Joekel; and 21-year-old Teniecha Bright are facing a charge of principal to attempted first-degree murder. Joekel and Brian Smith are hospitalized with gunshot wounds.
Arrested on suspicion of being accessories after the fact were 37-year-old Chanel Skains and 23-year-old Britney Keith. All are from LaPlace.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds