Video: Jailed mayor claims officer ‘will pay’
He said that the officer would "pay the price" after "messing with him too many times"
By PoliceOne Staff
INDEPENDENCE, Iowa – A mayor is heard on surveillance video telling someone on the phone that an officer would pay after being arrested and jailed for interference during a bar fight investigation.
Carl Scharff said that officer David Winger would "pay the price" after "messing with him too many times."
“Now it’s my turn, and I’m coming,” Scharff said.
According to the police chief, the mayor was not involved in the fight, but had interfered during questioning.
Criminal complaints state that the mayor was combative, disobeyed instructions and resisted being handcuffed, according to WCF Courier.
“Your buddy, Wingnut, arrested me for interfer — supposedly — interference with official acts. So I’m up here at the Buchanan County Jail,” Scharff said on the video.
“Don’t worry about it. I didn’t do anything wrong. Want to let you know…Uh, he, he — Mr. Winger will pay the price.”
County Attorney Shawn Harden declined to comment on Scharff’s case. He did, however, describe Winger as a “thorough” and “conscientious” police officer known for “dotting every i and crossing every t.”
(Watch video here)
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds