Atlanta officer thwarts smuggling attempt
Suspect tried smuggling 4 30-packs of beer, 2 loaded handguns into federal prison
By Alexis Stevens
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
ATLANTA — An apparent plan to smuggle contraband cellphones, alcohol and even handguns into the Atlanta Penitentiary was thwarted early Tuesday when an alert Atlanta police officer spotted four men outside the federal prison who appeared to be "up to no good."
The officer was patrolling the area of New Town Circle in southeast Atlanta around 12:30 a.m. when he noticed a white Oldsmobile Alero parked near the fence surrounding the U.S. Penitentiary, Atlanta police Sgt. Greg Lyon said Tuesday afternoon.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Atlanta officer thwarts smuggling attempt
- Police Heroes
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman