Police: Fugitive who stabbed officer vowed to not return to prison
Cell mates of told investigators he had made the promise not to return
GRAPEVINE, Texas — Police say a convicted sex offender who escaped near Dallas while being transferred from Florida to Nevada allegedly told former cell mates he would never return to prison.
Grapevine police said Wednesday that the former cell mates of 42-year-old prisoner Alberto Morales told investigators he had made the promise.
Morales has been a fugitive since police say he stabbed one of the two Miami-Dade detectives who were transferring him Monday while they were in Grapevine awaiting the arrival of a third officer who was flying in to join them.
Police say Morales became disruptive on the flight to Houston so his escorts decided to rent a vehicle to drive the rest of the way.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform