500 prison cells at Va. jail malfunction
A glitch caused every door to simultaneously open; no inmates attempted to escape
CLARKSBURG, Va. — Officials in Montgomery County declared a security emergency after locks on about 500 cell doors at the main jail near Clarksburg simultaneously opened.
Arthur Wallenstein, director of the county's Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, told The Washington Post that no inmates tried to escape when their cells were unlocked Saturday morning. The locks were reset within an hour.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: 500 prison cells at Va. jail malfunction
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help