Chicago woman ordered to get help after 396 arrests
Fifty-one-year-old Shermain Miles has been ordered to get mental health and substance abuse treatment in a deal with prosecutors
CHICAGO — A Chicago woman who has been arrested 396 times in the past 35 years has been ordered to get mental health and substance abuse treatment in a deal with prosecutors.
Fifty-one-year-old Shermain Miles, who's been in the Logan Correctional Center in Lincoln since December for violating parole, appeared in a Cook County court on Monday to plead guilty to charges she attacked a city alderman. She also pleaded guilty to trespassing and public drinking in separate cases.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports a judge sentenced her to time served in all three, because Miles agreed to undergo a mental health evaluation and get follow-up treatment.
Miles, who is homeless, has dozens of convictions for felonies and misdemeanors.
The paper says she thanked a judge for the opportunity to get help.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform