Ariz. sheriff: Man arrested was deported 11 times
Daniel Jupa-Fino, 21, has been arrested for illegally crossing the Mexico border 11 times in 3 years
FLORENCE, Ariz. — Authorities along the Arizona border say a man accused of driving a car carrying 220 pounds of marijuana had been deported to Mexico 11 times.
The Pinal County Sheriff's Office says 21year-old Daniel Jupa-Fino was arrested Tuesday after he ran from the car after a deputy made a traffic stop on Interstate 8.
The agency says it later learned from federal authorities that Jupa-Fino had been deported 11 prior times during the past three years for illegal entry into the United States.
He's jailed in Florence on charges of possession and transportation of marijuana.
A second man who was a passenger in the car also was arrested on marijuana charges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Border Patrol
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman